Thursday, May 20, 2010

our little asthmatic baby

You'd think I would have learned my lesson the first (or second) time. But no, my under-reacting proved harmful again!

Tyler has been congested for weeks now. It started at the end of last month. When we took him into the doctor for his 9-month well check, we found out that he actually had a cold. We never know when this child is sick, because he is constantly happy! The doctor gave Tyler an antibiotic. He got better, but like usual, he got sick again as soon as the antibiotics were finished. So we started a second round of amoxicillin. He never completely recovered, which we just attributed to prolonged allergies. Finally this morning, Chad told me to call the doctor. I thought, "surely, he's fine. He's sitting here jumping and laughing in my lap." Again, Daddy was right.

Our doctor was out of the office today, so we went to see Dr. Pascoe instead. After listening to Tyler for just a few seconds, she noticed he was wheezing pretty badly. I had noticed, but didn't think it was a big deal. She had the nurse run a test to check his oxygen levels. They did it eight times because he was testing between 81-93. The healthy, normal levels are at least 95, with most people testing about 98-105. We had to do a breathing treatment in the office (seriously torturous), and the doctor prescribed one for home. We have to give it to Tyler twice to three times a day. We go back next week to have his oxygen levels tested again. She thinks he may have asthma. Tears!

She also diagnosed Tyler with an ear infection and an upper respiratory infection. I can't believe he was this sick, and I didn't know! 

On a positive note, he gained a pound! I've been working extra hard with him on feedings, and he's now up to 20 lbs 8 ounces!



No comments:

Post a Comment