Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Prayers work!

Yesterday, Baby Tyler got a little too excited about meeting Baby Charlie Holovach. He wanted to come out and play ... good thing he understood when we explained it wasn't his turn yet!

While we were visiting Andrea and her family in the hospital, we thought my water broke. I was a little scared because (as always) I didn't know what was normal at this phase of pregnancy. We asked the nurse at Presby Plano, and she didn't react how I expected. Instead of calming me down and laughing at my "worries," she forcefully insisted we rush to the ER downstairs immediately. While I was holding back tears, Chad grabbed my phone and called our doctor. She, in her ever-so-soothing voice, said we should head to our hospital, Baylor Dallas, and have a simple evaluation to check. As always, I felt better after talking to her. But we were still driving to the hospital at 28 1/2 weeks ... definitely not ready to meet our little boy yet!

The hospital was expecting us when we arrived, and they took me back to a labor and delivery room immediately. Posey, our nurse, was incredible. She had the most reassuring tone in her voice. They hooked me and Tyler up to the monitors. Tyler enjoyed it a little more than me, and he took the opportunity to demonstrate his powerful kicks and rolls. I think he was showing off for Daddy, since he was watching!

Posey did the first test, which came back positive for amniotic fluid. Although this would have been the time to panic, she quickly explained that they would do a few more tests to confirm. Then, Tyler would get a steroid shot to help his lungs, and we'd be welcoming him to the world that evening. At this point, he has a 95 percent chance of being fine ... he may just need a little help with breathing for a few weeks. All I could think of was the Google search I ironically did that morning for babies born at 28 weeks. Those images flashed in my head, and I just started praying.

Within several minutes, the doctor came in and explained the four tests she was going to perform. The doctor introduced herself, but I was too busy admiring how beautiful she was. The first test, a more detailed version of the one Nurse Posey just completed, came back negative! And the reassuring news continued. She did an ultrasound to measure the amniotic fluid. Any amount more than 5 ounces was considered safe, and Tyler still had 14.5 ounces of fliud and plenty of room to continue his aquatic acrobatics! They noticed a few "variations" in my uterus, but the contractions were nothing to cause worry. The last test checked for lung development, as Tyler should be practing his breathing by now. We watched the ultrasound machine for nearly 30 minutes, and finally witnessed his chest contract for the first time! Everything looked perfect! I strongly believe God answered our prayers and fixed the leaking amniotic fluid! Our creator is a good plumber too!

After 20 more minutes of continued monitoring, we were released. No medications, no restrictions and, most importantly, no problems with Baby Tyler!

Chad captured a neat video on his cell phone while there. The monitors picked up Tyler's hiccups. I love that he gets mad and kicks, too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u1526ZNlR0&feature=player_embedded

1 comment:

  1. That must have been so scary! I am so glad you and baby Tyler are ok!

    ReplyDelete